Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How do you research a new card making technique, especially with a new medium ?



For those of you who don't already know, I was selected to be part of the new Design Team (DT for short) for Panpastel. My excitement turned into panic when I realised:
  1. I haven't used pastel much in the past (apart from using pastel pencils)
  2. I'm not an artist, I know how to assemble elements and hope that it will look good enough to make a decent card but that's about it.
  3. I didn't have any clue where to look to see what other crafters were using them with...
Now, I thought let me look at the manufacturer in the States and the site was very thorough and lead me to a few videos on youtube. This was great because I tend to forget about youtube and how it's chocoblock full of demos etc. It's kinda a visual smorgasbord of anything from funnies to music videos...and also cardmakers/scrapbookers sharing their love of paper crafting.

I also did a search on Hubpages (where I wrote a few articles about cardmaking myself) I really like that resource site as the quality of the article is usually very high. I wasn't disappointed; a few artists were showing how they were using panpastel and how to go about it.

I finally started to search on Google but as I feared it was full of retailers selling the stuff instead of how to use them etc... Obviously I need to modify my keyword search and this is where you come in helping me. 

  • What are you favourite keywords to find how to use new techniques ? 
  • What are your favourite sites apart from Google and Blog Google to take you to interesting finds ?
  • Do you use only manufacturers website or even online retailers to see how to use some new mediums you never came across before ?
Please leave your thoughts and comments I'd really like to see how you go about it ?

    Related Posts with Thumbnails

    Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain